Matthew joined Knox Cropper as a trainee in 1990, remaining with the firm after qualifying as a Chartered Accountant in the Haslemere office. In addition to assisting clients with mainstream accounting, tax and statutory matters, Matthew specialises in regulated areas such as organisations holding client money and service charge accounts. He also has considerable experience in advising clients on computerised accounting systems.
As an audit Responsible Individual, Matthew works with a range of clients in both the commercial and not for profit sectors, and brings his technical skills to bear with a personal approach, always ready to respond to client requests for assistance.
- Client money auditing and reporting (Solicitors, Propertymark, FCA / CASS 5)
- Preparation of service charge accounts under Tech 03/11 with auditor’s report or accountant’s report of factual findings
- Assurance and compliance services to housing associations, including Almshouses and Abbeyfield Societies
- Statutory financial statements and corporation tax compliance and advisory services
- Audit of commercial entities and associated advisory services
- Advising and training clients on the implementation of computerised accounting systems
- Reviewed the 2019 update to the Solicitors Accounts Rules 2011 and discussed with clients ahead of implementation date to ensure no regulatory matters arising as a result of the new requirements
- Assisted a charitable client with the implementation of component accounting for fixed assets as well as reformatting the related fixed assets register
- Assisted a number of newly formed entities as well as those still using manual records to transition to Cloud based accounting software, including periodic desktop reviews
- Review of new MOUs for a grant receiving charity to ensure the terms are consistent with previous MOUs with particular reference to income recognition
- From the end of March onwards much time has been devoted to maintaining contact and updating all clients on the COVID 19 situation with specific emphasis on assistance available from government and other sources
- Fellow Chartered Accountant (FCA)
- Member of the Audit and Assurance Faculty (ICAEW)
- Member of the Financial Reporting Faculty (ICAEW)
- Member of the Solicitors Community (ICAEW)
- Member of the Academia & Education Community (ICAEW)
Away from the office Matthew spends much of his time meeting up with friends locally with cinema visits, dining out, local sports events and day trips high on the agenda. He also spends time reading and enjoys listening to sport on the radio. When time permits he is also to be found online in the MMO “Eve Online”.
"Our involvement with Knox Cropper goes back in excess of 25 years, both as accountants to our own business, but also as accountants for many of the clients within our block management portfolio." "They are always readily available to provide advice which is something we highly value."
Marler & Marler
"Burley Geach solicitors has utilised the accountancy services of Knox Cropper for many years. They assist the firm in connection with professional accountancy matters, regulatory reporting under the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules and matters of a more personal nature. We have always found Knox Cropper to be extremely thorough and efficient and they are always happy to take time to discuss and explain accountancy matters in a user-friendly way. We would not hesitate to recommend their services."