Simon has specialised in the charity and not for profit sector for the last 20 years. He works with a broad range of charities, as well as housing associations, trade unions and trade associations, educational institutions and social enterprises.
As a Senior Statutory Auditor, audit is the core of Simon’s work, but he also provides other assurance services including internal audit and, for smaller registered charities, independent examinations. Simon acts as a sounding board for his clients and has undertaken many special projects including special reviews and due diligence assignments.
Simon’s charity clients include welfare charities, Think Tanks, membership organisations and Learned Societies, Arts Council funded charities, grant makers and fundraising charities. Financial reporting for charities can be complex and Simon is particularly interested in working with his charity clients to navigate the requirements and help them communicate their achievements and impact.
- External audit for registered charities and registered providers
- Financial reporting requirements for registered charities
- Charity governance
- Financial requirements for Academy schools
- Annual reporting requirements of trade unions and trade associations
- Internal Audit
- Advised a charity on its conversion from a charitable trust to become a charitable company limited by guarantee
- Advised a charity on the financial reporting requirements of a prior year adjustment following a change in accounting policy
- Advised a registered provider on the financial reporting requirements following a merger with another registered provider
- Due diligence assignment for a charity considering a £7 million capital project
- Delivered training sessions for clients on How to read a set of University financial statements and charity trustee responsibilities
- Advising a company on a share capital reduction
- Advised a community benefit society which relaunched its tv channel following an innovative crowdfunding initiative
- ICAEW – member of the Audit and Assurance faculty
- ICAEW – member of the Charity Finance Professionals Community Group
Outside work Simon has been a Foundation governor of an Academy school in Kingston upon Thames since 2013.